Alcohol withdrawal is an amalgamation of symptoms that takes place when the alcohol use is minimize or terminated after the long term use. Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal syndrome are mild to moderate and moderate to severe. Some common symptoms of alcohol withdrawal encompasses of anxiety, depression, mood swings, inability of thinking, nightmares, insomnia, headache, enlarged pupils, fast heart beats, nausea, sweating and pallor.
Treatment for alcohol withdrawals depends on ones condition some people can cope their symptoms at home but when the symptoms are severe most of the people requires hospitalization or a complete concentration from a health guider.
Outpatient Treatment for Alcohol Withdrawal
When patients have mild to moderate alcohol withdrawal symptoms they can frequently be treated through outpatient treatment. The daily visits of a health provider are needed till you symptoms can’t overcome. Some of the areas have housing facility whose environment has positive impact on patients. The treatment based on
- Patients and family discussion about the intake of alcohol.
- Blood tests
- Treatments and test regarding the health problems which are connected to alcoholism.
Inpatient Treatment for Alcohol Withdrawal
Patients with moderate to severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms are recommended to have impatient treatment in a hospital under the supervision of doctors. The doctors keep control on the signs of delirium tremens.
- The doctors observe the blood pressure, heart rate, body temperature and the levels of different chemicals in the body.
- Fluids to reduce the dehydration and medicines are given to the patients through vein.
- Calmative drugs are given to lessen the withdrawal symptoms.
Family and Friends Support
The desire to take alcohols again during the withdrawal treatment can be arise in the patients. Friends and family support can help to combat the desire of alcohol. They can help you to manage the outpatient treatment and recommend you to join the alcohol withdrawal programs where you can get the better instructions to avoid the relapses.
Medication for Alcohol Withdrawal
Some of the effective medicines are recommended according to the conditions. Some vitamins and nutritional supplements also personate an imperative part to slow down the symptoms.
- The benzodiazepines can reduce shakiness, anxiety and confusion linked to alcohol withdrawal and can minimize the chances of seizures and DT’s. These benzodiazepines include diazepam (Valium), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), Lorazepam (Ativan), and oxazepam (Serax).
- The patients with mild to moderate symptoms are advised to take an effective alternative of benzodiazepines which is anticonvulsant drug carbamazepine (Tegretol).
- Other than benzodiazepines some of the drugs are used to treat the complications that involve antipsychotic drug, beta-blocker, Clonidine (Catapres), and Phenytoin (Dilantin).