Eating disorders are severe physical and emotional problems that can have deadly consequences for both men and women. The subsequent are diverse types of eating disorders along with their symptoms.
Anorexia is categorized by excessive weight loss and self-starvation.
The subsequent are common symptoms of anorexia:
- Refusal to uphold body weight at or over a minimally standard weight for height, age, body type, and level of activity
- Intense weight gain fear or fear of being “fat”
- Feeling overweight or “fat” despite of the dramatic weight loss
- Menstrual periods loss
- Extreme anxiety with body shape and weight
Bulimia nervosa centers on the purging and bingeing of food. Bulimia comprises of the eating unnecessary quantities of food in short time periods (frequently in secret), then getting rid of the food and calories over enemas, vomiting, over-exercising, or laxative abuse.
Common symptoms comprise of:
- Recurrent purging and bingeing episodes
- Feeling uncontrolled throughout a binge and eating more than the comfortable fullness point
- Purging after a binge, normally by abuse of laxatives, self-induced vomiting, diuretics, diet pills, fasting or excessive exercise.
- Extreme body weight and shape concern
- Frequent dieting
Binge Eating Disorder
Binge eating disorder (also called compulsive overeating) is described mainly by compulsive periods, uncontrolled, nonstop eating beyond the feeling of being comfortably full. Whereas there is no purging, there might be repetitive diets or sporadic fasts, and frequently the feelings of self-hatred or shame after a binge. Body weight might differ from normal to mild, severe or moderate obesity.
Other Different Kind of Eating Disorders
This list of eating disorders comprises of disorders which are a mixture of the symptoms and signs of anorexia, binge, bulimia eating and other disordered eating activities. These kinds of eating disorders might, or might not, be recognized officially as a specific mental illness, nonetheless any time eating behaviors cause distress, they should be assessed by a professional.
You can read more information about these other kinds of eating disorders here:
- Night Eating Syndrome
- Eating Disorder NOS
- Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Nocturnal Sleep-Related Eating Disorder