Alzheimer’s disease is considered as a growing disease in older people that demolish many mental functions and memory. Alzheimer’s disease is the mostly accepted disease that is caused by dementia, the individual experiencing Alzheimer’s disease is unable to remember things and remark mild confusion, and those people are even unable to remember the important people in their lives.
The brain cells in Alzheimer’s disease are degenerate and die causing a stable drop in mental functions and memory. In America 4.5 million people are suffering from this condition that is mostly starts from the age of 60.
Treatment for Alzheimer’s disease
Treatment for Alzheimer’s disease can improve the symptoms temporarily. There is no proper treatment is outlined to treat Alzheimer’s disease therefore it is important to look for the alternative treatments and different treatment options. Different treatments can help a person to maximize functions and maintain independence.
Many types of herbals, vitamins and supplements are effective for the treatment and prevention of the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Some of the alternative treatment can support the diseases that are
- Vitamin E: 2000 international units of Vitamin E daily can help to reduce and delay the progression in the people who have Alzheimer’s disease. Even though vitamin E is not that effective in treating Alzheimer’s disease.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Fish oil supplements don’t have any benefits to treat Alzheimer’s disease according to the studies, but the omega 3 fatty acids are helpful in preventing cognitive lessening.
- Curcumin: The herb curcumin comes from turmeric that has antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties that are effective for chemical processes in brain.
Safe and Supportive Environment
Establishing routine habits and reducing memory challenging task in the people with Alzheimer’s disease can be made easier.
- Keep their routinely used stuffs like wallet, keys, mobile and other precious things on the same place.
- People with Alzheimer’s disease become frightened and confusing by seeing many images around them. Omit extra images from the house.
- Put photographs and other significant objects around the house.
- People with the disease should keep a mobile phone with them that can be helpful in communication in case the person is lost of forget something, it can help in track the location.
- Use a whiteboard or calendar in home to mark the daily schedule, make a habit to check the completed tasks.
Some of the medications are helpful to manage the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease in most of the cases when any alternative treatment is not working then two types of drugs are used.
- Memantine: The medication Memantine (Namenda) works in the other brain cell communication network and makes the progression of the symptoms steady in the people with moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease. The side effects from the medication are headache, constipation and dizziness.
- Cholinesterase Inhibitor: It works by boosting the levels of the cell to cell communication by contributing acetylcholine that is a neurotransmitter which is consumed in the brain due to Alzheimer’s disease. The medication can also improve the symptoms of neuropsychiatry like depression or agitation. These inhibitors include rivastigmine (Exelon), donepezil (Aricept) and galantamine (Razadyne).
Some of the common side effects from the inhibitors are nausea, loss of appetite, disturbed sleep and diarrhea. The severe side effects include heart block and slow heart rate.